Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Tauranga Multicultural Festival going ahead this weekend after Christchurch mosque shooting postponement

Samantha Motion
Samantha Motion
Regional Content Leader·Bay of Plenty Times·
19 Mar, 2019 10:24 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
A Chinese folk dance group at last year's Multicultural Festival. Photo / Andrew Warner

A Chinese folk dance group at last year's Multicultural Festival. Photo / Andrew Warner

The Tauranga Multicultural Festival will go ahead this Saturday.

The festival, in its 20th year, was due to happen last Saturday but was postponed in response to the shootings at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.

Multicultural Tauranga president Ann Kerewaro said the festival would go ahead at the same time and in the same place "as if [the attacks] never happened".

"We want to do it for everybody. To celebrate diversity and not be put down."

She said the decision to postpone had not been made lightly but was necessary after the police had to pull out.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The police had said they would be there this weekend, she said, providing security as well as a community stall.

Kerewaro said the event would be safe and there was no need for people to be nervous to come.

She hoped members of Tauranga's Muslim community would be able to be part of the festivities as planned.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

She understood the performers were all still in, as were most of the food trucks and stallholders.

The festival traditionally includes performances by various cultural groups as well as a large selection of culinary delights from around the world.

Tauranga Multicultural Festival

- Saturday, March 23
- Historic Village, 17th Avenue
- From 10am.

Discover more

Multicultural Festival has been postponed

15 Mar 07:22 PM

Future uncertain for Tauranga Multicultural Festival

17 Mar 09:39 PM

Otumoetai Primary school's fundraiser for Christchurch

23 Mar 11:00 PM

Musical tributes for Chch shooting victims

25 Mar 11:00 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

‘Nowhere is safe’: The business preparing communities for the next natural disaster

21 Feb 05:04 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

New-look commuter challenge launches in Tauranga

21 Feb 01:04 AM
Bay of Plenty Times

'Biggest spenders': Working holiday visas benefit the Bay

20 Feb 05:00 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

‘Nowhere is safe’: The business preparing communities for the next natural disaster
Bay of Plenty Times

‘Nowhere is safe’: The business preparing communities for the next natural disaster

Founder Hamish Coulter launched Crisis Bunker after seeing Cyclone Gabrielle's impact.

21 Feb 05:04 PM
New-look commuter challenge launches in Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Times

New-look commuter challenge launches in Tauranga

21 Feb 01:04 AM
'Biggest spenders': Working holiday visas benefit the Bay
Bay of Plenty Times

'Biggest spenders': Working holiday visas benefit the Bay

20 Feb 05:00 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP