Whanganui Chronicle
  • Whanganui Chronicle home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Taranaki
  • National Park
  • Whakapapa
  • Ohakune
  • Raetihi
  • Taihape
  • Marton
  • Feilding
  • Palmerston North

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • New Plymouth
  • Whanganui
  • Palmertson North
  • Levin

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Whanganui Chronicle

Winston Peters says foreign ownership issues part of coalition talks with National and Labour

Nicholas Jones
Nicholas Jones
Investigative Reporter·NZ Herald·
8 Oct, 2017 11:01 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The Labour leader was upbeat after finishing talks with NZ First today. Video/Derek Cheng

Winston Peters has emerged from his morning talks with National, refusing to say what policies are being discussed - but saying foreign ownership will be part of negotiations.

Peters has previously said NZ First will aim to have a decision made by Thursday, but would not say today whether that meant the party wanted to announce the decision on that day.

"The meeting was great, actually," Peters said. "Like all the meetings have been so far."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Peters said yesterday talks today would go into the night, and confirmed today NZ First would meet again with National later today.

He said NZ First was covering similar policy areas with both Labour and National.

"It is not a game of tennis here, or ping pong. It is different discussions with different parties."

Peters said NZ First was still on track for a decision by Thursday. Asked if that meant announcing the decision on that day, he didn't say.

"What we said we would do by the 12th of October we are setting out to do ... what we are trying to do is ensure that we give all sides in this negotiation a fair hearing, and vice versa."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Asked about news of a takeover of UDC Finance, Peters said the sell off of New Zealand interests to overseas buyers was the "continuing story of this country's decline since the 14th of July, 1984".

"These talks are about a change in the way this country is run. Both economically and socially."

Peters said foreign ownership issues would be part of the talks.

"Have you got that? It is a yes."

Discover more

New Zealand

Live: Marathon negotiation session expected

08 Oct 06:56 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui Chronicle

Calm after the storm: Recovery from severe weather starts

16 Feb 10:52 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers

16 Feb 07:58 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?

16 Feb 04:22 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Calm after the storm: Recovery from severe weather starts
Whanganui Chronicle

Calm after the storm: Recovery from severe weather starts

The Whanganui area still had 3321 properties without power as of 6.45am Tuesday.

16 Feb 10:52 PM
Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers
Whanganui Chronicle

Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers

16 Feb 07:58 PM
Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?
Whanganui Chronicle

Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?

16 Feb 04:22 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Whanganui Chronicle e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Whanganui Chronicle
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP