Whanganui Chronicle
  • Whanganui Chronicle home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Taranaki
  • National Park
  • Whakapapa
  • Ohakune
  • Raetihi
  • Taihape
  • Marton
  • Feilding
  • Palmerston North

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • New Plymouth
  • Whanganui
  • Palmertson North
  • Levin

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Whanganui Chronicle

Bar blaze to be investigated

John Maslin
Whanganui Chronicle·
27 Sep, 2013 09:00 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Firefighters battle in vain to save the Celtic.

Firefighters battle in vain to save the Celtic.

Investigations are continuing into how and where a fire started that destroyed a popular Wanganui bar early on Thursday morning.

The fire tore through Caroline's Celtic bar and restaurant at the top end of Victoria Ave, with the alarm raised just before 4am.

By the time Wanganui Fire Service crews arrived the fire was well advanced and firefighters were forced to attack the fire defensively, meaning they could only battle the blaze from outside the building.

Late yesterday John Hotter, Wanganui Fire Service fire safety officer, told the Chronicle they had been at the scene throughout yesterday and would be there again today, sifting through the debris trying to establish how and where the fire started.

Senior Sergeant Lance Kennedy confirmed Whanganui Police were working alongside fire investigators. "If arson is identified, we will lead the investigation. If not, it is a matter for the insurance company and owners."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He said although they had appealed for anyone with any images taken of the scene before the fire service arrived, no one had come forward yet.

And unfortunately there was no useful security camera footage from the area that could be obtained either, he said.

The fire means 28 full-time and part-time staff have lost their jobs until the business either sets up in temporary premises or rebuilds on the same site.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Patrick Norton, brother of the bar's owner Caroline Norton, said that a rebuild on the same site was likely although a final decision would not be made for a few days.

Discover more

Investigators seek cause of pub fire

30 Sep 11:35 PM

Rivals lend hand after blaze

17 Oct 05:22 PM

Arson ruled out in bar blaze

24 Oct 05:41 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui Chronicle

'Why don't we just fund it?': The bridge replacement battle

20 Feb 05:00 PM
Premium
Lifestyle

Small spaces, big harvests: The case for growing food in pots

20 Feb 04:03 PM
Sport

Medals in the bank for Whanganui speed skating team

20 Feb 04:00 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

'Why don't we just fund it?': The bridge replacement battle
Whanganui Chronicle

'Why don't we just fund it?': The bridge replacement battle

'The bridge has critically deteriorated and is no longer considered safe for traffic.'

20 Feb 05:00 PM
Premium
Premium
Small spaces, big harvests: The case for growing food in pots
Lifestyle

Small spaces, big harvests: The case for growing food in pots

20 Feb 04:03 PM
Medals in the bank for Whanganui speed skating team
Sport

Medals in the bank for Whanganui speed skating team

20 Feb 04:00 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Whanganui Chronicle e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Whanganui Chronicle
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP