Hawkes Bay Today
  • Hawke's Bay Today home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Havelock North
  • Central Hawke's Bay
  • Tararua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Gisborne

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Hawkes Bay Today

Minister defends 'no-sale' decision

Hawkes Bay Today
17 Sep, 2015 10:52 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The Government blocked the sale of Lochinver. Photo / File

The Government blocked the sale of Lochinver. Photo / File

Ministers have gone against an Overseas Investment Office recommendation, declining a bid by Chinese-owned Pure 100 Farm Ltd to buy Lochinver Station.

The Overseas Investment Office had recommended it be accepted in what Associate Finance Minister Paula Bennett described as a "finely balanced" decision.

However, ministers did not believe the benefits to New Zealand were great enough and used their discretion to reject it.

"While the OIO said the question of whether the benefits or the potential investment to New Zealand are, or could be, substantial and identifiable was finely balanced, it recommended approving the application.

"We agreed parts of the proposed investment could benefit New Zealand but our judgment on the overall balance of evidence the benefits are not likely to be substantial and identifiable."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

It is the first time ministers have rejected a bid to buy a significant landholding in New Zealand since the rules were tightened in 2012, during the Crafar Farms decision, to require the OIO to assess whether a foreign buyer could offer more than a New Zealand buyer would.

Pure 100 Farm is a subsidiary of the China-based Shangahai Pengxin and applied last year to buy the 13,800ha farm, located 32km from Taupo and 92km from Napier, for $88 million.

Ms Bennett said, while ministers recognised the importance of overseas investment, it was a privilege to own "sensitive" New Zealand assets and investors had to meet statutory requirements set out in the Overseas Investment Act.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"After detailed and careful individual consideration, we are not satisfied there will be, or is likely to be, a substantial benefit to New Zealand - a key requirement for applications of sensitive land of this size."

NZ First deputy leader Ron Mark said the ministers' decision to block the sale was "baffling" given the Government had signed off on significant land sales in the past.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Business

Premium
Opinion

Opinion: NZ's justice system is shaped to increase the billable hours of lawyers

24 Nov 05:00 PM
Hawkes Bay Today

Get NZ's best journalism: Subscribe to Herald Premium in our Black Friday special

23 Nov 09:15 PM
Premium
Business

'Could even top that' - Naylor Love forecasts $1.04b annual revenue

23 Nov 06:00 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Business

Premium
Premium
Opinion: NZ's justice system is shaped to increase the billable hours of lawyers
Opinion

Opinion: NZ's justice system is shaped to increase the billable hours of lawyers

OPINION: Few can afford to go to court, so why not expand the Disputes Tribunal?

24 Nov 05:00 PM
Get NZ's best journalism: Subscribe to Herald Premium in our Black Friday special
Hawkes Bay Today

Get NZ's best journalism: Subscribe to Herald Premium in our Black Friday special

23 Nov 09:15 PM
Premium
Premium
'Could even top that' - Naylor Love forecasts $1.04b annual revenue
Business

'Could even top that' - Naylor Love forecasts $1.04b annual revenue

23 Nov 06:00 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Hawke's Bay Today e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Hawke's Bay Today
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP